Sunday, June 2, 2013

Freedom

      noun
      the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint

      Above is the definition of "Freedom" exactly how is it written in the dictionary. Now my question is "How do we know when (or if) we are really free?" 

      I think, for the most part at least, freedom is an illusion to keep us in line. To avoid chaos. I'm sure all of you have seen the movie The Matrix which is a perfect example of what I mean. The Matrix was freedom but it was nothing more than a smoke screen keeping people in line to avoid rebellions against those who created the illusion. 


      No one is genuinely free. We are all in a prison of some kind whether its  our jobs, our schools, our families or our country's laws. No one can do whatever the hell they want and expect to get away with it unless of course what they want to do is follow the rules with a passion.


      I stumbled upon the picture below one day while searching Google images for something. It may not have exactly brightened up my day but one thing it thankfully did do was open my eyes.


      I now accept the fact that I'm not free and to be honest, it makes me happier because at least I'm not lying to myself. I'd much rather have the ugly truth than a beautiful lie.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment